This is how I tend to do my digital drawing in Painter. It’s pretty much exactly like I would do with paper and charcoal, but I have UNDO!! Anyways, this drawing isn’t finished. I got to figure drawing late, so I was limited, and just like any lazy artist, I wait for the face, hair, and the hands until last. I guess that’s why they are almost never there. Anyways, here are the steps I go through:
1. First, I block out the forms and make sure my proportions are correct:
2. I create a second layer and keep “pick up underlying color” checked, then first wipe out the image using a blender brush, then lay down lines for form:
3. After that, I start another layer, and wipe the lines down so that they are not so harsh:
4. Once I have that done, I begin blocking in my light and shadow, and tightening up the edges a bit in places. I like to have some tight edges and some soft:
5. In my last step, I now go through each part, tightening the drawing, adding shadows, core shadows, highlights, etc. :
So like I said, I didn’t finish this drawing, but I think it is a good example of how I work digitally. Hopefully next time I’ll actually finish it.